Cattle and Dairy Cows
Electric fencing for cattle and dairy cows is a safe, economical and long lasting alternative to non-electric and dangerous barbed wire fencing.
Gallagher offer a full range of electric fence options for cows and cattle. Select from permanent (high tensile) or portable fence systems or an offset fence which allows electrification of existing fences.
Portable electric Fence for Cattle
A portable electric fencing is ideal as a temporary, or easy-to-move, enclosure. Extremely suitable for dividing fields into multiple paddocks. It’s also ideal for rationed grazing, allowing you to get the maximum yield from your grass. The best-known system consists of lightweight portable posts and poly wire. This makes it easy to attach the wire to the post, and the wire will remain in the holder. Perfect for a portable fencing. The fence can be put up and/or taken down in one single pass.
We recommend our unique strip-grazing system. This system consists of fence tumblewheels, giving you a very easy way to move dairy cattle onto the next strip of fresh grass. The fence tumblewheels roll along the land like a tumble weed, giving the cattle a fresh strip of grass every day. This, in turn, ensures your land is grazed optimally.
- Choose from a selection of portable posts for a portable cattle fence:
- Ringtop post,
- plastic multi wire tread-in post,
- steel multi wire tread-in post,
- 3/8” fibreglass post with spring clips
- For a portable cattle fencing, we recommend the Ringtop post
- All posts are from hard-wearing plastic and lightweight, and come supplied with the number of wire holders you need. Multi wires can also be added to Ringtop post using Rod post screw-on claw insulators
- We recommend a maximum distance between posts of 8 metres.
High tensile electric fencing for cattle
A Gallagher High Tensile power wire fence offers plenty of advantages. For a safe, permanent, dairy cattle barrier, a two-wire system will suffice. For beef cattle with calves, a three-wire system is the right solution. We recommend a distance between posts of 15 metres in each case.
- A professional permanent enclosure for cattle farming? Then use High Tensile;
- Larger distance between posts of 15 metres, up to a maximum of 20 metres, is possible with a two-wire system;
- Can be stretched tightly with tensioners and tension springs
- Use tension springs to deal with temperature fluctuations (shrinkage and expansion), as well provide additional fence flexibility for wildlife impacts, and heavy snow loads.
- Most durable and longest lasting type of electric fencing system, with low maintenance, minimal animal contact this system is extremely hard-wearing.
What do you need for a Gallagher high tensile power wire fence for cattle?
- Fence Energizer system with grounding. good rule of thumb is 1 joule of energizer output for every 1600m (1 mile) of fence. For grounding recommended one ground rod per energizer joule output, note these may vary depending on ground type conditions.
- Gallagher Hight Tensile Powerwire
- Choose from our selection of Gate Kits
- Brace Anchor Posts each end
- Line Post Options:
- Insulated line posts, plus Line Post Clips
- 1" Fiberglass Posts use Fiberglass Post clips to secure wire to posts
- Wood Posts with Wide Jaw, Screw-In Ring, or Multi post pin wood post insulator
- Steel T-Post with Steel T Post Topper, Universal T-Post Insulator, or Multi post pin post insulator, note steel posts are least desirable in an electric fence system
- Connection Claw Clamps Clamp (note required if using Insulated Strainer)
- Insulator see (5) line post above for options
- Heavy Duty Tension Spring (optional)
- End Insulated Wire Strainer Kit required at one end
- Tensioning strainer required at opposite end (9) wire strainer or at both ends if desired options are:
- Under Gate/Lead Out Cable recommend to connect fence under gates, lead out from energizer to fence, energizer to ground rod connections.
Existing fence for cattle
You don't need a completely new fence, but would like to electrify an existing enclosure made from, for example, mesh, wood, or barb wire? Then use the Gallagher offset insulators.
A quick and effective way to electrify an existing fence.
- Effectively keep cattle within an existing fence;
- Protects an existing fence;
- Can be used with power wire, tape, cord or plastic wire;
- For the electrification of:
- Wooden fences
- Iron or concrete posts
- Mesh fences
- Barbed wire